The Inspiration Behind It All
The MoonSaddle inventor – Dennis Bell, a distant cousin of Alexander Graham Bell – experienced a problem – discomfort and numbness. While working as a consultant for a company in California, he needed some exercise, so he went to a yard sale and purchased a used bicycle. He rode his used bike to work and various beaches in the area. Having had medical training as a Navy Corpsman, he understood the human anatomy. He envisioned how the body addresses a traditional bicycle seat. It reminded him of the old adage about “getting ridden out of town on a rail” – a not so comfortable experience for someone who disrupted a community’s peace. He remembered that the human butt in general has two parts – the perineum (soft tissue lying between the annus and reproductive organs) and ischial tuberosities (sits bones). Traditional bike seats put the weight on the perineum. By riding his bike while standing only on the pedals, the pain and numbness did not occur, so he knew the problem had to be the saddle. On a Sunday afternoon, he envisioned a new saddle concept that puts the rider’s weight on the sits bones rather than the perineum. That vision created the MoonSaddle design – a saddle without a nose. It had horns, but they faced backward instead of to the front. His new saddle mainly contacted the sits bones, not the perineum. He took a piece of wood and carved out the first MoonSaddle. He purchased an old leather football at another yard sale and used it as a skin for his new saddle. The texture of the football gave him the proper texture for his new saddle. Having considerable knowledge of polymeric systems (resins, epoxies, expanding polymers, etc.), he used the wood and leather pattern to make a mold. Thousands of MoonSaddles later, his patented design has stood the test of time.
As of Sept. 15, 2018, MoonSaddle is owned and operated by Longford Development Group, L.P. and managed by LDG, L.L.C. Nothing else has changed. Same great product, same great service.
Management Team Members
- 41 years in manufacturing industry
- 40 plus US patents, over 30 in production to date
- Founder & Designer of MoonSaddle™ bicycle seats
- Founder of the Bell Design Corp.
- Designer of total and state-of-the-art manufacturing systems
- Veteran United States Navy
- Broad education in areas of Engineering & Science
- Recipient/Alexander Graham Bell award most Prolific Inventor
- Self-employed – Farmer (current)
- Employee – Longford Water Co. (current)
- Co-manager – Longford Water Co. (2005-2016)
- Mayor – City of Longford
- Attended Longford HS and Clay Center HS (graduated 1971)
- Self-employed – Farmer, 45 years (current)
- Member – Executive Board, National Association of Conservation Districts
- Attended NCK Vo-tech, degree in Production Agriculture (graduated 1972)
- Location Manager – Wilbur Ellis Co. Clay Center (current)
- Attended Kansas State University, degree in Ag Economics (graduated 1990)